This practice is proud to offer a unique blend of expertise and woman-centred care for all stages of your pregnancy journey.
What is a doula?
Planning for Pregnancy
Your doula is part of your support network and and is available to meet with you and provide phone or email support during your pregnancy journey.
Labour is an important time – you’re about to meet your baby! Your doula can help support you and your partner at this exciting time.
The journey doesn’t end in with the birth. Your doula can help you settle into your new life with a newborn by helping you with routine matters and being available for you in person or over the phone or email.
Whether you choose to breastfeed or formula feed, it doesn’t always go smoothly or to plan. Speak with your doula if you have any concerns or questions about feeding your little one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why have a doula?
Benefits can include:
· Shorter labour and hospital stay for mother and baby
· Fewer interventions / complications (including lower rates of caesareans, episiotomies and assisted deliveries, as well as fewer requests for pain medication)
· Increased confidence (both in self and partner)
· Increased rate of breastfeeding success
· Increased satisfaction with birth experience
· More positive view of baby
· Lowered stress/anxiety and less likely to develop PPD
· Continuity of care throughout pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period—your doula is there from start to finish!
What about my partner?
Partners benefit too!
· Can be involved at their own comfort level—less pressure
· Increased confidence in self and mother
· Can take breaks and feel supported as well
· More positive view of baby, mother and birth
How can a doula help?
A doula is there for you through prenatal meetings, phone support, labour at home/birth centre/hospital and postpartum visits to help you cope.
Support can include:
· Massage, acupressure, counter-pressure, aromatherapy, hot/cold therapy
· Positioning and birth ball use
· Breathing, hypnotherapy and relaxation techniques
· Shower, bath or water use to help cope with discomfort
· Answer any questions and reassure you about what’s happening
I have a baby! Now what...?
The journey doesn’t end with a birth—it’s only just begun! A postpartum doula can help you and your family in the first weeks after the birth. This can result in a quicker recovery with less stress and anxiety for a more positive experience overall, especially for first time mothers.
A postpartum doula can guide you with:
· Breastfeeding education and support
· Newborn care
· Postpartum nutrition and body care
· Emotional and social support for the mother and family as they adjust to the change of a new baby
Ready to Make a Change?
Take control of your health and wellbeing. Make a time to chat about how integrative naturopathy can help you become the best version of yourself.